Pages

Friday, May 25, 2007

And the Saga Continues...

As if we didn't have enough problems already with housing and stinky furniture, the washing machine (mom and dad's) decided to break. It left standing water all over the kitchen (anywhere from a quarter to a half an inch deep. Anyone who has been to my parent's house will know it is a good distance from the laundry room to the pantry. The water regulator broke on the washer and was continually dumping water relentlessly on the floor downstairs. It was not the way that I wanted to spend a Wednesday evening. Daniel spent about 2 hours on his hands and knees with the one gallon shop vac, vacuuming up the water. I got all the stuff off the floor downstairs and put it out on the deck. Mom and Dad came home shortly after to help go through the stuff and check out the air vents.

The damage was pretty steep. The inspector and contractor came today. When I left this morning, the house was normal (but a little wet still). When I cam home this afternoon there were ten mega dryers going downstairs along with two large dehumidifiers. Almost all of the linoleum was ripped up. We are left with subflooring and glue and an almost non-operable kitchen. Thankfully, we have a few extra washing machines laying around, but this is not the way that any of us envisioned spending our Memorial Day weekend. We have very noisy dryers and very little place for the four adults and two kids to rest comfortably and quietly.

I'm tired and ready to give up. We've had so much heartache and trouble with housing that I almost feel like a cardboard box would offer more. Not really, I'm just a tired working mother of two who just wants to have a comfortable place to raise her family and leave lots of space for the grandparents, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daughter,
I love you more than you know, although you understand some of that love now that you have your own children. I pray that God will give strength and peace during these trying times. Somehow, I feel God is using this heartache to create something beautiful for you and us.
Mom