Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2007

I Feel Successful

I didn't get to have the relaxing summer with my boys that I wanted, but I did get to spend some much needed time with them, and I got a lot done. I feel very successful. Now, I just need to buckle down and figure out what's going on with volleyball (starting the 20th) and NC history (starting the 27th). The house is somewhat in order. There's still tons to do, but it is very livable, and I can find most of what I need. I've painted a lot, observed some high school practices and try-outs, cleaned and organized my house to an extent, enjoyed my boys, and went swimming once.

I have discovered something else that makes me feel successful. You see, Malachi is 2 (in case you hadn't noticed) and often acts like it. In his attempt to act like a 2 year old, he occasionally throws fits. I have found that the best way to deal with that is to put him in "time-out." Yes, he still gets good, old fashioned spankings, but when he is screaming uncontrollably, the thing that works right now is for me to pick him up and place him in his room. Sometimes he follows me out, and I put him right back. I tell him to stay until he isn't crying/whining anymore. As soon as I hear him stop, I go in and act like nothing has happened. I've only had to do it 3 or 4 times in the past week, but it seems to work. It is the best way that I have found to calm him down from his screaming fits. We wipe his eyes and nose and get on with life. It makes me feel like I'm on the right track as a parent. Sometimes, Daniel and I forget that he is only 2. He's not perfect, but he is very well-behaved for a young 2 year old.

***Look for more parenting tips to come. I'm an expert now. Just kidding:)

No comments: