Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Elam's Birth Story

The birth of our fourth child proved to be very similar to the birth of #2 & #3.  It was late at night, very quick, and right near a "church day" (i.e. Sunday or Wednesday).  There was one defining factor that none of the previous births had, though.  Elam was born at a birth center.  We were home about 3 hours after he was born, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Malachi was born 4 days late.  Ezekiel was born 2 days early.  Moriah was born 5 days early... so, I figured Elam would be about a week early.  I figured absolutely right!  I knew that he would most likely come early.  


The day before he was born, I got my hair cut.  The day he was born, some friends came over and decorated our house for Christmas.  I was so sad that it was less than 2 weeks before Christmas Day before our house was decorated, but it worked out with a toddler pulling off all the ornaments.  ALL THE TIME.

All day on the 13th I was having strong contractions.  Sometimes they were 5 minutes apart.  Sometimes they were farther apart.  I knew from experience that I could have a baby any time.  I began to prep the boys for what was coming as the evening wore on.  Daniel's brother lived with us at the time, so we were able to leave the boys and Moriah at home to sleep with Uncle Nathan.  It was around 10:30pm when we arrived at the birth center.  The midwives at the center knew about my quick labors and deliveries and were ready to answer the call.  It was a Saturday night, so Daniel had gone over to the church to prepare for Sunday morning in case we weren't back in time.  We, of course, found out later that we were home with plenty of time for him to make it to church on Sunday morning. ;)  The date was 12.13.14.  The midwife, assistant, Daniel, and I "joked" that he wouldn't make it for this cool, easy-to-remember day.  Again, we were wrong.  I think that this labor was the most difficult.  I don't know why, the pain just seemed so much more intense.  Of my 3 natural deliveries, this was by far the most painful.  Elam Levi was born at 11:36pm still wrapped in all his membranes.  My water didn't break until a push or two before his arrival.  I did have minimal tearing and minimal pain afterwards, but the delivery was brutal!  In his first 2 hours of life, I think he peed 5 times and pooped 3!  Never has a brand new baby every excreted so much.  LOL!  After he did all his peeing and pooping, they weighed him.  He was 7 lb., 15 oz., but we still round up to 8 lb. even due to all the lost waste.

It was so nice to be able to rest at home after Elam's birth!  We were home by 3:30am on Sunday morning.  Daniel and I slept on the couch.  Elam slept in his carrier.  We were exhausted from a full day.  Why can't my kids decide to come in the morning or afternoon when I've had some sleep relatively recently?!?  I don't know, but it's all a distant memory now.  Ha ha!  Daniel and one of the big boys went to church, while I had a big helper to handle myself, a toddler, and a new baby.  Changing 2 sets of diapers, again, was interesting and eventful.  I'm used to it now, but it was definitely an adjustment.  Malachi and Ezekiel were quite surprised to see their little brother had "appeared" while they were sleeping.  We are so blessed to have 4 wonderful children (2 of which are really awesome big brothers and helpers)!  It was rough the first 4 months of his life, and he cried A LOT, but Elam is such a blessing and joy to have in our family!  He makes Team Honeycutt into 6!


This is his first picture (getting ready to leave the birth center).


December 14 - Malachi, Ezekiel, and Moriah meeting their little brother for the first time, at home, still in their pjs <3 nbsp="" p="">

December 25 - 12 days old - Elam's first Christmas


December 25 - Christmas with 4 kiddos



This cutie around 3 weeks old

No comments: