Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The Back is Back

A little over 2 weeks ago, on Father's Day, Daniel and I were rolling up and moving the inflatable slide that we used the day before for Malachi's birthday party. I'm a lot heavier than I used to be and should be and have been so stressed/tired that I haven't been very active lately. So, needless to say, I strained several back muscles. At first they were concerned about a herniated disc, but we found out a few days later that it was just muscles. It is the worst pain that I have ever experienced. Every time I moved, it hurt. At times, it was hard to walk or even get to the toilet. I'm thankful that my husband was around to take me to all the appointments. He said that he was "driving Ms. Daisy."

It hurt to sit up. The only thing that didn't hurt too much was laying on my back. Monday, I didn't do much and thought the pain would go away. When it didn't go away by Tuesday, Daniel took me to a chiropractor. He suggested I go to the doctor and get pain meds. That was the best suggestion of the week! So, after spending an hour at the chiro, we got lunch. I hurt too much to eat, so it was just the boys eating. Then, we went to the dr., who gave me 2 shots, one was for pain, the other a steroid to decrease the inflammation. I left with 3 prescriptions (vicotin for pain, prednisone steroid, and a muscle relaxer). I felt MUCH better after the 2 shots. We, then, went to the chiro, again, and let him do some more therapy on me. It still hurt a lot to sit up, but I was dramatically better.

Wednesday I went to the chiro for therapy and tried to rest and sleep (thanks to the meds). Still in a lot of pain. It was also our anniversary. We made it to Moe's for lunch, but that was still hard for me to sit through.

Thursday, I made it to the chiro, again, and this time he felt comfortable in adjusting me. It made me more sore, but it helped more in the long run. That evening I felt up to doing a "sit down" restaurant. So, we took our family of 4 to Texas Roadhouse.

Friday morning came, and I was feeling much better. Went for another adjustment and therapy at the chiro. I still had to ice my back and rest a lot, but I was feeling like I could move a little without pain. Friday evening I took the last dose of meds. Saturday morning, we decided that Daniel would go and be a counselor at the SC district kids' camp with our friends from Beaufort. So, it suddenly became busy. We had to start packing. We took the boys to see Cars 2 at 2pm. We had an hour drive to church at 5pm. After getting home from church, at around 7:15pm, Daniel cooked dinner and mowed the yard. We packed up a little bit and went to bed.

Sunday morning rolled around. We feverishly packed whatever we would need for the next 2 weeks. After driving to Beaufort that afternoon/evening, we stayed with our friends. Monday morning they headed out early to camp. The boys and I were on our way to NC for the next two weeks. I had 4 hours to drive on my own. My back was ok until the last hour when we got into Charlotte. When I had to keep moving my foot back and forth from the gas to the break, it caused a lot of pain in my lower back. Thankfully, the boys were well-behaved. I didn't make it to the chiro that day.

Tuesday afternoon, I painfully made it to our favorite chiro, Dr. Love. He was able to adjust me, and I began to feel TONS better. I went twice to Dr. Love on Wednesday and once on Thursday. Each visit, I felt better and better. Now, I am just trying to move carefully and not strain the muscles and ice my lower back several times a day. I'm thankful that I can move, again, without any pain. It took about 2 weeks, and I still need to ice it, but I am thankful for getting somewhat back to normal.

...and that I picked Daniel up on Friday, July 1st, to help me and be with me. I miss him when he's gone.

No comments: