Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Malachi's first day of school was Tuesday. He was so excited/nervous that he had a hard time falling asleep the night before. He also wouldn't eat breakfast. He talked my ear off for the 30-40 min. drive into Tampa and waiting in line. He was ready to get out and get into the classroom. We put his stuff away, found his seat again, and I tried to get him to sit down and color like the other kids. I had been in the room for about 10 min. Then, when he realized I was leaving, he began to cry. That made me cry. I was ok until then. I kept trying to leave, but the teacher was busy with other students. Finally, after about 20 min. in the room, his teacher had a moment to grab him. He was the only kid screaming and crying that Mom was leaving :(

It also rained all day on the first day, so he couldn't go out and play at school or in the sports after school program we put him in.

2nd day went great! He yelled bye to me when I dropped him off and willingly went to work at this desk.

3rd day went well, also. He got to get all sweaty in after school!!! Love it. He's been on "green" every day, which is the best you can get. He did, however, tell me on the way home that the girls who sit across from him told him he "wasn't smart." Then, he said, "I know I'm smart, Mommy." I'm glad he understands a little bit better. In VPK, he continually got comments like that from other classmates and was hit often. He didn't usually tell us. We didn't realize it was a big problem and really bothering him until he suddenly became violent towards others. Malachi has never been that aggressive towards anyone until that point. I think I will talk to his teacher in the morning, just to give her a head's up. Malachi didn't seem too upset, but I'm really surprised that children would say that on the 3rd day of school. That is usually an indication of things to come. Malachi is truly smart and belongs in K. I know, though, that he hasn't said a whole lot because he's still nervous and getting used to so many new people. It takes him a little while.

just arrived at school, standing next to his new Lightning McQueen bookbag


dressed in his uniform, about to leave the house with Mommy

No comments: